Recently I bought a new Android phone to replace my iPhone 3G. All of my contacts/mail etc were synced with Google so those didn’t need backing up but I did want to save my text messages. I came across a number of different ways of achieving this but by far the simplest was by using a free online tool combined with an excellent free android app for backing up and restoring text messages.
- Follow the instructions on http://faked.org/isms2droid/ to backup your messages from your iPhone
- Download the free SMS Backup & Restore application onto your phone (use the QR code below with your phone’s camera)
- Transfer the XML file created by the isms2droid web application onto your phone’s SD card (the folder the SMS Backup & Restore app is looking at can be found by going to the options screen within the app)
- From within the app on your phone select “Restore” and chose the XML file you’ve just copied
- It takes a little while (depending on how many messages you have) but once complete all of your old text messages will now be on your phone.